Saturday, October 29, 2011

A new purchase!

We got a very expensive but very exciting mixing machine the other day. We also got most of the attachments to go with it - a pasta maker, sieve (for my jams and sauces), mincer/sausage maker and ice cream maker. My husband pointed out that it was a 'passion purchase' rather than a financial decision, and although with our home made food we'll probably never get our money back, we've certainly had entertainment value and lovely food from it so far.
I made amazing meringes and managed to do the washing up at the same time (becuase the mixer does it all for me!) I never made them before becuase standing there with the hand-held mixer was so BORING. I also made the most fabulous, authentic French bread (and now I know, having just returned from a French bread making course in Paris!) and today we made minced meat to make a rabbit terrine. I've made lots of ice cream using it as a mixer and next door's machine to freeze it, as our ice cream attachment hasn't arrived yet. The vanilla ice cream is soooo good.
 
Our chickens, after going broody while we were away, are finally all laying agian and our garden's going really well. We're harvesting red onions, spring onions, spinach and silverbeet, lots of herbs and cauliflowers.
On the way are about a zillion potatoes, broad beans and peas. Newly planted are tomatoes, corn, zucchini, borlotti beans (which you can dry), melons, and capsicums. This is our first year planting melons and capsicums, so I'm interested to see how they go.
Our fruit trees, brambles and vines are also looking good for the first time. We planted them all 2-3 years ago and look like we'll get a few apricots, lots of blueberries, heaps of apples, bunches of grapes and some raspberries. Our local fruit farm has also announced that strawberries and tayberries are ready and we're ready to go and pick them as soon as it stops raining!!!
As for France, blame that for my lack of posts lately. I ate a lot and fortunately walked a lot too so I didn't come back obsese as I thought I would. I did a great bread and croissant making course, ate the best bread (that I made) that I have EVER had, lots of fabulous french food, and have been cooking a lot more French stuff since coming home. It's so fatty though, so it will need to be a fad, not a new lifestyle. To counteract this, I'm going to go through my dessert recipes and throw out all the really fatty ones, as I have some great healthier ones these days and want to stick to those.
The 'baby' is growing up fast, he loves watering the path (not the plants), and brings his trucks out and loads them up with dirt and weeds while I work in the garden. He has no interest in cooking (sigh) but happily licks the bowls and eats leftovers or ingredients as I go, or just goes into a corner and plays with cars and leaves me to it. He's very independent these days, which allows me more time to do my own thing. He loves the chickens and is often found standing at the chicken coop saying 'hello chickens, how are you today?' or 'hello chickens, what are you doing?' very cute.
That's all from me, off to bed, it's a hard life being a housewife :)
If anyone wants those healthy dessert recipes, let me know
x

No comments:

Post a Comment