Saturday, July 23, 2011

Making my own food

It's back to work now and I'm finding it harder to get things done somehow - winter makes getting out of bed so much harder! But staying home part-time in winter is so much nicer, I get to be outside during the day and at least see the sky, if not the sun. Having to go to and from work in the dark is in the past these days and I love it :)
I've got some lovely warm clothes and a good raincoat, and so does my son, so we just go outside in the wind, cold or rain, and enjoy it. When you have the right gear and you're not frozen when you're outside, it's actually quite nice!
I've been making lots of my own food these days. I made a committment to a 1 million Women website that I would cut down on packaged foods. It was somehting I was doing anyway, but I'm really noticing the difference when I go to the supermarket and my trolley doesn't have much in it any more. I'm also noticing that I spend more time in the kitchen, but as long as I'm playing music or have someone to talk to, I enjoy it. I'm really proud of the things I make myself and I'm much more likely to eat it, share it and make the most of it when I know how much effort went into it! I'm also learning lots of new skills, saving money, being environmentally friendly, and learning to be patient.

The things I make or grow that I used to buy include:
Breakfast cereal
Bread (normal, flavoured and fruit loaves)
Pizza bases
Naan bread
Pitta bread
Jam
Pesto
Relish
Soft Cheeses
Yoghurt
Sour cream
Vegetables
Herbs
Salad leaves
Fruit (berries mainly, but we've planted apples and apricots)
Herbal tea
Pasta sauce
Tomato sauce
Barbeque sauce
Bean shoots
Deoderant
Cleanser
Soap
Washing liquid
Sponges

I'm also buying things like sugar and flour in bulk, using dried beans and lentils instead of canned ones, and using leaf tea instead of teabags (it's better quality and cheaper!)

I want what I'm doing to be sustainable, so I'm not taking on more than I can manage - I've said no to extra work becuase to work an extra day a week would mean that I couldn't keep up with my home-made lifestyle. I prefer being home anyway. If something is too boring, too messy or takes too much time, I don't do it again. I'm also not making anything that's worse quality than the shop alternative. Most of it is waaaay better, which is why I'm happy to put in the extra effort. I'm finding that the few times I've bought a packet of supermarket pasta, or a can of baked beans (which I used to love!) they taste really fake now. I'm used to having such lovely food, I don't like the high-preservative, lower-quality food any more. Like my husband, I'm getting to the point where I can't go back and will just have to keep cooking!

I've also started digging up the nature strip in front of our house to plant more vegies (our neighbours' idea, we're doing it together) which will mean even more home-grown food! I've also convinced three people to make thier own yoghurt after they tasted mine - not bad huh! I need shares in Ezi-Yo now (although I'm not using their sachets any more, my neighbour taught me a yummier way!)

PS Newbie, the new chicken, is not happy. I think she's depressed. I'll never get a lone chicken again, poor girl! The others have finally started laying, we get about 1 egg a day. Still cold and dark for them.

Happy cooking, gardening, sewing/knitting, or just reading this and relaxing, thinking I'm mad for doing it
x

No comments:

Post a Comment